Couldn’t imagine a life with the grandchildren that did not include graham crackers! A staple when I was growing up and used for some-mores to pie crusts. With all the gluten free products on the market you would think some one would sell a gluten free graham cracker… However, these are SOOOOO easy to make and store well, so please give them a try.
Published: March 10, 2015
- Yield: 25 2 x 5 inch crackers
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 17 mins
- Ready In: 37 mins
A light crisp cracker sure to please!
- 1 1/4 cups Gluten-Free Grandma’s All-Purpose Flour Mix
- 1 cup sorgum flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter cold, cut into pieces
- 1 Tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 – 8 tablespoons ice water
- Turn oven on to 350 F
cut parchment paper to fit bottom of 2 cookie sheets, or you can use silicone cooking mats.
- In your food processor place all dry ingredients (first 7 ingredients listed) Pulse a few times to get all combined well.
- Once combined, while running add in the butter pieces through the top chute. Pulse until mixture looks like coarse sand.
- In a small bowl, mix together the honey, vanilla and 6 tablespoons of water.
- Pour the wet mixture into the bowl containing the dry ingredients slowly. Pulse until the mixture starts to come together into a ball.
- On your counter top lay your pre-cut parchment paper OR your silicone mat. Put your mixture on top of the paper, and kneed into a ball. You should have a fairly stiff dough, like playdough. Divide dough into 2 balls.
- Cut 2 pieces of cling wrap, and lay on top of one ball of dough overlapping to make a large square. Using your hands first, flatten out the dough (under the cling wrap) then using your rolling pin, continue to roll the dough to roughly the size of your paper or mat about 1/8 ” thick.
- The thinner the dough, the crispier the cracker. Sprinkle the whole surface with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. (1/4 cup sugar to 1 teaspoon cinnamon mixed together) Using a pizza cutter and a ruler (or just wing it) cut the crackers so that they are 2″ X 5″ each. Take a fork and prick rows of holes down the center of each cracker.
Slide your mat or parchment paper back onto your cookie sheet, and put into pre-heated oven.
- Cook for 17 minutes, peaking at 15 minutes. Once golden, remove from oven and let cool completely. Break apart once they have cooled. If they are not crisp, turn off over, put crackers back in the oven, and crack door. leave in for an hour. This will crisp up the crackers