One of the hardest things to do is to get the grandkids to eat things that are actually good for them. Went looking for a recipe for gluten-free fish sticks and instead came across this little gem, (which I have modified slightly) and think it will serve the purpose of sneaking some nutrition into the little darlings, nicely.
Gluten-Free Veggie Nuggets Recipe
Published: December 31, 2012
- Yield: 40-50 nuggets (9-10 Servings)
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 55 mins
One of the hardest things to do is to get the grandkids to eat things that are actually good for them. Went looking for a recipe for …
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into 2
- 1 medium russet potato peeled and cut into 2
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- .5 cup corn kernels defrosted if frozen
- .5 teaspoon salt
- .5 teaspoon garlic powder
- .25 cup Gluten-Free Grandma’s All-Purpose Flour Mix or any gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs wisked
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- Line one baking sheet with parchment paper and another with foil, set aside.
- In a large steamer pot, place potatoes and carrots in over boiling water and steam for 12-15 minutes. Add the broccoli and steam for an additional 5 minutes.
- With kitchen tongs or a spoon, remove the potatoes, place in a bowl and mash them. Place the corn, broccoli and carrots in a food processor and pulse to finely chop.
- Add chopped vegetables, salt, garlic powder to the mashed potatoes. Stir well to incorporate.
- Spread mixture on prepared baking sheet with parchment paper. About 1/4″ thick and freeze for 1 hour. (recommended to freeze no more than 1.5 hours.)
- When ready, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray baking sheet (with foil) with cooking spray.
- Place flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in three separate bowls. With a cookie cutter, 1-2 inches wide, cut out shapes from the potato/veggie mixture.
- Gently coat nuggest with flour, then eggs, then the bread crumbs and place on the baking sheet.
- Lightly coat the nuggest with cooking spray. Bake for 10-12 minutes and then broil for 1-2 minutes to make crispy.
- Serve warm with ketchup or mustard. Enjoy!