My granddaughter’s preschool requires her to bring in gluten-free substitutes for the school-supplied gluten-filled snacks. This daily substitution was the main reason I started experimenting with gluten-free baking, mostly because it’s impossible to find some things to substitute! One of the snacks is “Nilla Wafers.” This recipe provides a great Gluten-Free alternative.
Gluten-Free Vanilla Wafers Recipe
Published: January 28, 2013
- Yield: 36 wafers
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
My granddaughter’s preschool requires her to bring in gluten-free substitutes for the school-supplied gluten-filled snacks. This daily …
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon peel grated/zested
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup Gluten-Free Grandma’s All-Purpose Flour Mix
- 10 tablespoons butter melted, and cooled (or your fav dairy-free butter substitute)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar to dip glass in to press wafers
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, silicone pads or lightly grease
- Combine eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat on high until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla, lemon peel and salt and beat to combine. Gradually add gluten-free flour and beat just until combined. Slowly drizzle melted butter into the mixture and beat until combined.
- Drop dough by heaping rounded teaspoons on prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 1/2 inch space between cookies.
- Optional: Dip a small drinking glass in the extra sugar and gently press down on each cookie.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for about 12-15 minutes or until the cookies are golden and crisp. Cool.