This recipe came from my Aunt Birdie, it happened to be my Uncle’s favorite cake. I like the recipe because I can make it without a special trip to the store! I always have cocoa on hand, and usually a cup of coffee left in the morning pot of coffee. This recipe makes GREAT cupcakes, as well as a cake that you can bake in a 9 x 12 inch pan for pot luck dinners! Sometimes I add chocolate chips to the batter before baking to add a bit of richness.
Aunt Birdie’s GF Cholocate Cake
Published: March 11, 2015
- Yield: 1 9
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
Easy recipe that uses pantry ingredients!
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 2 cups granualted sugar
- 2 large eggs room temp
- 9 Tablespoons Cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups Gluten-Free Grandma’s All-Purpose Flour Mix
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coffee warm
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Cut parchment paper to fit bottom of your pans, spray pan with cooking spray and then put in your paper.
- To the bowl of your electric mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat until well combined.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, and salt.
Measure out milk, and alternately add to mixer beginning and ending with flour mixture. At this point the batter will be quite thick.
- Mix together the warm coffee and soda. It will bubble so be prepared!
Add to the mixer and on low speed continue until well mixed.
- Pour into prepared pans, and put into the oven.
- Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Ice with your favorite canned icing, or home made frosting. I have used Martha Stewart’s 7 minute frosting recipe.